Bears may look great in a movie or as a stuffed animal on your bed, they are not the kind of creature you want to encounter while out for a walk or while you are camping. Bears are extremely dangerous, and this is why you want to make sure you can protect yourself should you come across one of these woodland creatures.
The old wives tales about playing dead aren’t going to do you very much good. You need a product that is going to help you to be safe should you come across a bear, and this is why many have opted to look at bear sprays. These products help to deter a bear from approaching you, as they act very much in the same way that mace keeps away a would-be attacker. It truly is a product that any outdoor enthusiast should carry with them.
Choosing the Best Bear Spray
While you may realize it is a good idea to carry this product with you whenever you go camping or on a hike, it is also important to understand that not every product you find will be what you need. A little information can help you to choose the right product for yourself. Consider that this may save your life one day, so getting something that works best for you is definitely an important first step.
Here are some of the key factors to consider when choosing a good bear spray repellent.
- Easy to Use. This is probably the most important factor of all. The last thing you want in a dangerous situation is for you to find it difficult to activate the trigger mechanism to spray the product that the animal. Consider that you only have fractions of a second before of their can be on top of you, so an easy to use bear repellent is absolutely essential. Your life literally depends upon it.
- Capacity. The capacity is important for one primary reason. The more spray that you have available, the more you can use should a bear or a group of bears come after you. Most cans of range somewhere between 7 ounces and 13 ounces. Obviously, the higher capacity means the more amount of spray that you have.
- Distance. Besides capacity, another major factor related to this is the distance the product will spray. The range is another way to put this. The very best options out there give you a range of about 35 feet, which is something you may desire. The closer the bear is to you the more dangerous it is, so keeping it further away is quite important.
However, it is also important to realize that the further the spray is a way the less dense the cloud may be. What you may find is a range of somewhere between 20 to 25 feet is the ideal choice. It not only provides the right distance to keep the animal away, but ensures that there is a dense enough on to drop that bear.
- Safety. You have to also consider that safety matters for you as well. Having a safety cap or some trigger mechanism that protects the product from accidentally discharging is important. The last thing you want is for this to discharge and for you to be incapacitated. Finding a product that provides you optimal protection is a good idea.
- Accessories. Some products you find will have holsters or other accessories that help to secure the product to you. This can help to make it a lot easier to access in an emergency situation, and also ensures that you don’t have to carry the can in your hand. A quality holster should be one that gives you ease of access, snaps securely to your belt or harness, and is lightweight and durable.
What is the Best Bear Spray on the Market?
Now that you understand some of the factors to consider when choosing a good bear repellent spray, here are some of the best options available on the market. These have been chosen based upon many of the factors you read above.
#1 Sabre Frontiersman Bear Spray 7.9 oz
- Provides an effective range of this much is 35 feet.
- Provides success where other products are failing.
- Comes with a shelf life of up to three years.
- Provides the maximum protection afforded in a chemical of this nature.
- Used by law enforcement and wildlife officials.
- Protective plastic Can be hard to pull off, even breaking at times.
- Be careful of the blowback, as it can incapacitate you.
This product was designed to maximum stopping power. No doubt that a charging bear is as dangerous as it gets, and you need a product will provide you with a chemical that will stop that air in its tracks. With 2.0% major capsaicinoids included, you were getting the maximum amount of chemical allowed by the EPA. No bear is going to keep charging you with that sprayed at it.
What separates this product from many, is that it has eliminated more than 30% of the failures that other products have experienced. No doubt that you can’t take the risk of your bear spray not working, and this is why so many have come to depend on this product to keep them safe.
This product is already been tested in some of the most hostile and firemen’s, including in both Alaska and Montana. It provides a range of as much as 35 feet away, and houses a 7.9 ounce can. A heavy fog is emitted, giving you eczema protection, and the shelf life is as much as three years.
The fact that it has removed many of the failings that other products have encountered is enough reason to put your trust in this one. When you are out in the woods, you want to make sure that you are not hoping your product works. You need something dependable, and this SABRE has proven to be one of the very best.
#2 Counter Assault Bear Repellent
- Proven results, as there are a vast number of people who can attest to its effectiveness.
- Provides one of the largest capacities in terms of product, containing 10.2 ounces.
- Provides a continuous spray of up to nine seconds.
- Extremely effective formula that works.
- Safety Can be difficult to remove.
- The holster the canister slides into is a bit tight, taking it difficult to pull the spray out in an emergency.
It contains the same maximum chemical formula that protects against dangerous animals like bears, and gives you an outstanding range of up to 32 feet. One thing you will truly love about this is that it gives a continuous spray of up to 9.2 seconds, as you get a canister of 10.2 ounces. That is one of the largest capacity canisters available. That is plenty of punch to stop a charging bear, and is a longer duration than the other products you will find on the market today. That is one of the things that really attracted us to this product.
The bear spray comes in a nylon holster which easily attaches to your belt or other strap. It’s lightweight, so it’s not cumbersome in any way, but is durable enough to handle the rough terrain of the wilderness. This product is made to give you the ability to reach your bear repellent quickly, something you need when you are facing a hostile black or brown bear.
Included with the can is a safety cap. This helps to protect from the product from accidentally discharging, however, it can be a little difficult to remove the cap. You may want to practice removing it a few times, because you don’t want to be fidgeting this thing when a bear is approaching you.
This is absolutely one of the best products on the market today. A top two or three by anyone’s standards. You will be quite satisfied with his results, especially when you are in a dangerous situation.
#3 Udap Bear Spray Safety Orange
- Provides an effective stream up to 30 feet away.
- Comes with one of the highest grade combination of chemicals.
- Easy to use for any level of experience.
- Sprays a quick burst and can fend off more than one bear.
- Comes from a trusted manufacturer.
- The case is difficult to remove from the spray.
- Quite uncomfortable to carry, meaning that you may wind up leaving at home.
The one thing that separates this particular product from many you will find on the market is that it was originally designed by someone who was actually attacked by a bear. The attack survivor wanted to ensure that no one would have to face the same kind of danger he did, opting to develop one of the best products on the market. This spray releases one of the highest amounts of active ingredients you will find, and does so in a very short period of time. This make sure that you get maximum effectiveness in a short duration, giving you that added advantage to get away.
The spray is so effective that it could Defend against two or three bears and one time. The ranges up to 30 feet in length and will stop a charging bear in its tracks, making it difficult for the bear debris. It contains 10% Oleoresin Capsicum and 2% Major Capcaicinoids, making it one of the best bear repellent sprays you will find.
This is extremely simple to use no matter what your level of expertise is. With you are an expert woodsman or someone who is out for a hike for the first time, you were going to find this to be highly effective product for you. It comes in an affordable price and is something you should have in any survival kit.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some commonly asked questions related to pepper sprays.
#1 What is bear spray?
A bear spray is a product that helps to scare bears away much in the same way that Mace works on a would-be attacker. It irritates the eyes, sinus cavities, and respiratory system so that the bear is unable to see and finds it difficult to breathe. This gives you time to get away, preventing the bear from being able to attack or chase you. It is the perfect kind of product for a person to carry who spends any time in the wilderness at all.
#2 Does bear spray really work?
The truth is that these products are highly effective. There are many anecdotal stories of individuals who have used these products to fend off a bear that was chasing them. In fact, some of the best bear spray repellents will also work on other animals, such as wolves and mountain lions.
#3 How long does bear spray last?
This is dependent upon the product you purchase. Some will give you up to as much as nine or 10 second of continuous spray. Others may last only three or four seconds. This is dependent upon the capacity of the canister and how much of the product is discharged per second.
#4 Where can I buy bear spray?
Almost any wilderness store will carry products like this. You can also find these products online at places like Amazon. If you are wanting to know more about a product or purchasing it, but would like to purchase online where you are more likely to find it for cheaper price, it is still to your advantage to go into the store. You can talk to a salesclerk about the benefits of one product over another, helping you to make a more informed decision.
The factors above gave you some idea about what product may work best for you, but it is still a good idea to pick the brain of an expert. This is the advantage of heading into a wilderness store can provide you.
#5 How much does bear spray cost?
Most of these bear repellents cost somewhere between $20 all the way up to $50. There are some that are a little cheaper and some that are a little more expensive. However, don’t let price be the only factor. Consider that this is your life you’re talking about protecting.
#6 Who makes the best bear spray?
There are many great products out there, but one manufacturer that is consistently rated as the top is UDAP. If you have read this entire review, you have seen that they have three products that are included in our list of best products. It is because they make an outstanding group of bear repellent personal protection products.
#7 What is bear spray made out of?
The primary chemical that is using this product is capsaicin. This is a highly effective chemical that will drop a bear much like a person is dropped when they are sprayed with pepper spray. It is so potent that the formula can contain no more than 2% of this chemical according to EPA guidelines. This is enough to stop the bear in its tracks while also not causing permanent injury.
#8 Can I fly with bear spray?
If it is stored underneath the plane in your suitcase then you can carry with you. You will not be able to carry this on the plane. It is too much of a safety hazard, especially if it should accidentally discharge with in the cabin space. Should this happen, you will cause a whole lot of people to become angry at you like quickly. That is why it should always be stored underneath the plane.
#9 Is bear spray legal?
Of course it is. This is one of the products that people purchase on a regular basis. It is effective, safe, and completely legal for you to buy. Consider though that this product is only legal for you to use on bearers and other while predatory animal. Don’t use it on your neighbor.
#10 When to use bear spray?
If you come across a bear, then it is a good time to use this product. The most important part of using it is making sure that you discharge it only when the bear is within the effective range of the product. Don’t discharge it if the bear is 50 feet away. This will not work. Follow the directions and use according to the guidelines by the manufacturer.