Every gun owner ranks theft protection at the top of their list, but you would still like to have easy access to your firearm in the case of an emergency. Biometric gun safes offer an easy to access fingerprint scanner to have your firearm ready at a moment’s notice. That is why you must have to own the best biometric gun safe.
With the old-school combination safe slowly becoming part of history, the new biometric gun safe has stepped up to fill the void. With many states now dictating the importance of gun safety, this state of the art new technological advance has been filling up homes all over the United States.
In this article, I am going to discuss about how biometric gun safe is the ultimate for you & your firearms and give you an unbiased reviews with a buying guide that will definitely help you to choose your next gun safe.
Have Some Time? Here’s What You Need to Know…
Top Biometric Gun Safes on the Market Right Now!
|#1 Vaultek MX Series Multiple Pistol Storage||15″ x 11.5″ x 11.6″||32 lbs|
|#2 BARSKA New Large Quick Access Biometric Rifle Gun Cabinet||13″ x 13″ x 52.25″||82 lbs|
|#3 Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX Large Biometric Safe||14″ x 12″ x 20″||43 lbs|
|#4 Verifi S6000 Fast Access Smart Biometric Safe||17.4″ X 16.1″ X 7.9″||31.3 lbs|
|#5 GunVault Minivault Biometric Pistol Safe GVB1000||12″ x 8.2″ x 5.2″||10 lbs|
|#6 Sentry Safe Biometric Quick Access Pistol Safe Model # QAP1BE||6.6″ x 9.7″ x 2.2″||11.9 lbs|
|#7 Viking VS-14BL Top Opening Biometric Drawer Safe||11″ x 15″ x 5″||22 lbs|
|#8 Gunvault MicroVault XL MVB1000 Biometric Fingerprint Gun Safe||12″ x 10.5″ x 3.5″||8 lbs|
|#9 VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe||11.5″ X 9″ X 2.75″||12.8 lbs|
|#10 Liberty Safe HDX-150 Biometric Handgun Vault||13″ x 9″ x 3″||9.8 lbs|
|#11 Ivation Biometric Fingerprint Home Safe||8″ x 12″ x 8″||19.25 lbs|
|#12 BARSKA Biometric Safe Model # AX11224||16.5″ x 14.5″ x 7.8″||28 lbs|
#1 Vaultek MX Series Multiple Pistol Storage
- Weight: 32 lbs
- Dimensions: 15″ x 11.5″ x 11.6″
- Fantastic design that is both smart and efficient
- The ultimate in terms of anti-theft protection
- Smart technology makes this safe the ideal option in ensuring you were always aware what is going on with your safe
- Three effective ways using technology for you to be able to access the safe
- A great safe that is lightweight, allowing you to take it with you
- No doubt that for some $600 is a lot to spend
- The use of Bluetooth opens the door for hacking
- No Wi-Fi support
The exterior of this safe is extremely well designed. Through seamless welding and the use of durable plates, this is an antitheft wonder. It not only is pry resistant and impact resistant, but it also offers alerts that can be sent to your phone should someone be attempting to try to pry open the safe or if it senses a strong impact.
The use of smart technology is another way that this safe has distinguished itself from many of the other options you will find. The app not only lets you know the status of your battery, the brightness of the interior light, and if the safe has been opened or someone is attempting to open it, but it also gives you a means to open your safe using the app.
The biometric sensor on the top of the safe is one of the best in the business. You are able to create up to 20 different user accounts, giving you the ability to have several people have access if you so desire. Plus, there is a keypress you can use as well as an additional safety feature.
The interior of the safe is fantastic as well. The safe opens out with the door moving downward. This makes accessing anything within the safe easy, and the shelf slides out from the unit, allowing you to view all contents inside the safe without having to worry about moving anything around.
This is an extremely well-designed safe that has your peace of mind as a major concern. You can be sure that you can have confidence that your items are going to be kept secure, and because it only weighs 32 pounds portability is another great feature.
#2 BARSKA New Large Quick Access Biometric Rifle Gun Cabinet
- Weight: 82 lbs
- Dimensions: 13″ x 13″ x 52.25″
- Plenty of storage space
- Stores up to 120 different fingerprints
- Easy to set up in your home and provides incredible protection for your firearms
- Built with a heavy duty construction that you can count on, making it nearly impossible to be broken into
- Biometric locking system is easy to use and activate when needed
- While there is plenty of storage space here, if you have a rifle with a scope you were only able to fit one rifle in here
- If not properly connected, can tip forward when the door is open
It doesn’t matter whether you have a single rifle or several, you were going to find a lot of things about this safe that are going to make you happy. It is specifically designed to hold up to five long rifles, with inner dimensions of 112.5 inches tall, 52.0 inches across, and 11.5 inches deep.
It weighs 82 pounds, making it light enough for you to be able to install, but heavy enough to make it extremely difficult to get it out of your home. This is augmented by the hardware that is included that enables you to be able to secure the safe in place.
The interior is protected by a foam covering, which not only helps to protect your valuables inside the safe, but also gives you added protection from fire. Five slots are included in the back, making it easy for you to organize your firearms, and a shelf is included up top where you can store magazines, ammunition, and other important valuables.
Plus, this safe is not limited to only storing long guns. By adding a few shelves, you are able to easily store up to 30 handguns in here with ease.
The biometric scanner allows for 120 different users to have their imprints stored in the database. This helps you to be able to give a number of people access if you so desire, making it the ideal safe for a security firm were several people may need access to weapons.
The scanner can be operated both silently and with an alarm. This lets you know if someone is attempting to access your safe, and the recording of fingerprints is extremely easy. This is not only a safe you can count on in an emergency, but one you can have trust in because of its brand.
#3 Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX Large Biometric Safe
- Weight: 43 lbs
- Dimensions: 14″ x 12″ x 20″
- One of the best biometric fingerprint scanners you were going to find
- Quickly and easily allows you access with a touch of your finger or thumb
- All mounting hardware is included and allows you to secure the safe and placed easily
- Provides plenty of storage space, making it perfect for any business that needs to store money and firearms
- Would be better if it was fire resistant
- Is not large enough for rifles
At nearly 20 inches tall, it gives you the ability to store a large number of items, some as big as a laptop or similar such object. It truly gives you a lot of space so that you can store items that you wish to keep secure, and a large number of them at that.
While the interior is impressive, the exterior is exceptional. This is a safe that uses a laser cut design, that is seamless so that there is nowhere for a person to break or pry this safe apart. It is perfectly welded together to not only give us smooth and stylish look, but also one that you can count on to protect your valuables.
The safe is made with high quality steel, and the exterior has a black powder coated finish. This makes it so that the safe will not dent easily, making it resistant to high-impact, but also resistant to corrosion.
Of course, which are looking for in a safe of this nature is an exceptional scanner, and this uses one of the best 500 dpi biometric fingerprint scanners you are going to find. Once you have programmed your fingerprint into the safe, you can be sure that in a fraction of a second you were going to have access to this safe.
Because of its design and your ability to securely fasten it in place, you can even position this safe in a high risk area and still not have to worry about people being able to gain access. If they don’t have the fingerprint stored in the database, they are not getting in. The database stores up to 32 fingerprints in the CPU, and will retain that memory even if the batteries die. There is a keypad that you can use in an emergency.
Buyer’s Guide : How to Make the Right Choice?
Not just all safes are the same and I have selected a few specific guidelines to pick the best biometric safe for you. By following these six buying guidelines, you will be sure that you are making the correct choice to select the perfect biometric gun safe for you. These features will ensure that you get optimal performance & desired results and you do not waste your money:
- Biometric Features. Normally, safes have a pass code or a combination that you enter and it opens. For biometric gun safes, you just put your fingers on the scanner and it pops open. It’s easier that way and no risk of forgetting the combination. Only someone with your hand or yourself can get into them.
The biometric scanner is something that you should look at and focus. This scanner should be of high-quality and also have a proven track record of reliability. Unless you really need to give a lot of people access to your safe, it won’t matter how many fingerprints the scanner can hold. But having this feature could make your life very easy.
- Size. Also, you will need to look at the location. If you need something portable and easy to access, you will find a smaller biometric fingerprint safe. These are perfect for holding smaller firearms and giving you faster access in the time of danger.
Hunters will look for a bigger one to keep rifles, but some large safes are also equipped with biometric fingerprint scanners and these will still allow you quick access. The only downside is that they will be difficult to move and may take a little extra time to open.
- Battery Type. Biometric safes come with various battery types. You could choose the lithium ion powered one or the typical battery powered safe. Usually, this battery is a 9 volt or just 4 AA batteries. The lithium ion batteries may be stronger, but you will need to charge them at least three times a year. The other cells may not offer charging ports, but they will last multiple years.
- Durability. Each safe is made from a particular type of steel and this type will tell you the durability/strength. Some of them are made to be fire resistant stuff, while others are only made to withstand prying. I recommend finding one that is 14-18 gauge steel as this will ensure quality and protection.
- Weight. The weight is extremely important when you look for something that is portable and will allow you the opportunity place it anywhere in the house. You need to ensure that it will be able to fit on your counter. The top listed biometric gun safes are generally lighter and perfect for concealing anywhere.
- Additional Features. When technology powers a safe, it opens up many doors and these doors can be benefits to you. Some of the quality biometric gun safes offer USB ports to charge and some are made specifically to fit in a glove compartment. If you are planning on spending a lot of money on a safe, you might as well buy one that is more than a safe.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
#1 What is a Biometric Gun Safe?
Biometric technology started in the US and the NSA and many different security centers across the world now rely on this technology. This not only allows people to track someone but can also be used as a system that gives access to certain types or specified individuals.
Biometric gun safes are mostly known for the speed at which they allow you to access your weapons and also the technologically advanced locking mechanisms they are equipped with, but these gun safes are much more than that and they also provide a lot of additional features that are never taken into account. The locking system on the biometric gun safes are easy to lock and have excellent strength capabilities that are not easy to break open. Obviously, it will help you to get better safety than the non-biometrics.
#2 How Does Biometric Technology Work?
This technology uses the human body as a key. This means that parts of your body can be used to give you access to certain areas. Our bodies are each extremely unique and this will mean that you will have your very own unique key. Various parts of the body can be used for biometric technology and safes in general choose a few of these to ensure that only you will have access to your safe. These features or bodily elements are:
- Facial Features. While the eyes are extremely unique, the face has its very own characteristics that could be used as a unique key. Facial recognition software is one of the main types of identification used by cameras in highly developed countries. The only downside to this is that it is extremely difficult and the database must first be created for the feature to work as it should.
- The Eyes. While the eyes are not commonly used as a tool to open biometric safes, it has been considered to be one of the most secure ways of restricting access. In the US many security stations and even intelligence services have adopted this type of technology when it comes to clearance in certain rooms and certain information.
- Hand Scanners. While hand scanners are much like fingerprint scanners, they rely on the entire shape of the hand as well as the fingerprints on every finger. The hand scanner is not used that often and has been replaced in recent years by the more accurate and secured retinal scanning feature.
- Fingerprint. The fingerprint scanner is the most common and when it comes to safes, it is also the most used of all the features. In the early days of fingerprints, it was considered that our fingerprints contain our entire identification and this is completely true.
These are the 4 main uses of biometric technology in the security industry. DNA may now be the main form of identification, but fingerprints are the top choice when it comes to safes and smaller safekeeping objects.
The fingerprint is also extremely reliable, but sometimes it may let you down. This will all rely on the quality of the scanner and the software. Some consider the keypad to be part of this system, but even though it is a step in the right direction and a positive in terms of moving forward with technology, it still isn’t the perfect definition of this technology.
#3 How Reliable are Biometric Gun Safes?
While safes are generally judged by the materials they are made from; it is extremely hard to determine exactly how safe a biometric gun safe is. It will really all depend on the method you are using to try and break open the safe. While the effort going into a biometric gun safe may be enormous, these safes are still not perfectly safe and I believe that no safe is 100%. If you give someone with the right equipment enough time, they will find a way in.
For the fingerprint scanner, you will need to take extra precautions and that is why I always recommend keeping a small cloth close by to ensure that you can wipe the scanner once you are done. The reason I like to encourage this is that sometimes our fingerprints may stick to the scanner and when a scanner does not use heat detection as an added method, intruders will only need to exert pressure on the scanner and it will open.
#4 Should I Buy One With a Fingerprint Scanner or Not?
While the temptation may be there to buy a safe without a fingerprint scanner, I highly recommend investing in the one with a fingerprint scanner. The fingerprint scanner will not only reduce the time it takes to open the safe, but it will also be more beneficial in stressful times. Sometimes we tend to forget important information once we are put under stress or if danger arises, but your finger will never forget its print. This will give you faster and easier access to your firearm and relieve some of the stress.
#5 What Will Happen if Biometric Technology Fail?
This is a question I get a lot and the truth is that even though technology may fail you, it is always faster and handier in dangerous and stressful situations. All of these technologically advanced safes are fitted with override keys that will let you enter the safe if technology may fail.
The technology will also be very trustworthy if you remember to check the batteries every once in a while. This will leave the choice for you to make: Would you prefer speed and easy access or will you sacrifice speed for the slight chance that technology may fail? With the whole world moving forward, there is no need to be left in the dark and endanger you.
#6 Should I Buy a Portable or Large Gun Safe?
This will all come down to personal preference. I always recommend making sure that your gun safe adheres to the Justice regulations for safes and that you first buy a big safe that can be mounted to keep your firearm secure if you do not need it.
If you like to travel a lot, I would recommend the smaller and more portable safes. This will ensure that you have security over your firearm, while still having easy and quick access to use it. The portable gun safe will be highly beneficial to people regularly on the road. But just remember that no matter which safe you buy, it is highly unlikely that any plane will allow you to board with a firearm.
#7 Which Materials are Best for a Gun Safe?
Generally, every safe goes through a rigorous testing process and the manufacturer will use all the means necessary to try and break the safe, before releasing the safe on the market. I mostly recommend steel as it is one of the most durable and highly tested materials on earth. Steel has been proven time and again to withstand high amounts of heat and water.
Another great thing about steel is the ability conduct electricity and keep the charge in the steel frame. This will ensure that your firearm does not go off or that any items are damaged, should intruders try and use electricity to pry open your safe. Even though steel is not 100% impenetrable, I highly recommend paying a little extra and choosing a steel safe.
#8 How Much a Biometric Gun Safe Costs?
There are three types of price ranges for different quality safes. Each price range will determine the quality and durability of the safe as well as the fingerprint scanner and the protection level it offers.
- Cheap Safes. These are generally under $100 and more focus & emphasis is placed on the metal. These safes are usually small as well and will only hold a few valuable items. Many people choose them because they will fulfill an immediate need and also for their portability. You might have a larger safe for your home between $100-$700 ranges. These are mostly used for the safe custody of guns, jewelry and other valuable items.
- Commercial Safes. These are a little bit more expensive, but they provide an excellent balance in quality and features. The biometric systems usually cost between $750-$1000 for the scanner and biometric technology alone. These safes are generally used to store money in shops and restaurants, but they will ensure quality.
- Military Grade. These are used by defense agencies and they are extremely difficult to get a hold of. The biometric scanners generally cost $5000-$7000, but they will make sure no one can enter.
For standard home safes, you should be able to find something suitable for under $1000. This will all depend on the size you are looking for. For the bigger safes that will allow you the opportunity to store rifles, you might pay up to $800 while the smaller handgun safes will cost you between $150 and $400. That is considered top of the line for portable small biometric gun safes.
#9 How to Choose the Best Biometric Gun Safe on a Tight Budget?
I recommend looking for the key features that you need and you might be able to shave off another $100 from the price. The key is always to ensure that quality is present and that you buy something for a specific purpose and not just pick a cheap safe.
The basic biometric features on the smaller safes will still fulfill their purpose, but sometimes they may lack in quality and durability. I recommend looking at as an investment that will pay itself back in a few years.
#10 What is the Best Biometric Gun Safe?
I have finalized the top 12 best biometric gun safes to keep your firearms and valuables secured. All of these safes have been tested and they have all passed the test of being durable and perfect for quick access.
Some may be a little expensive, but the money will certainly pay itself back over the years that you use the safe and you can’t really put a price on your life and the security of your loved ones. Make the investment and buy a quality safe. This will not only improve your home security, but you will also be advancing with anti-theft technology. I like to inspire you to tell me your experience using biometric gun safes. If you have any more queries, be sure to let me know how I can help you to choose the perfect biometric gun safe for you.