The creating of your own ammunition is an art, but any artist will tell you that you are only going to be as successful as your tools, that is why having such things as dies, a press, scale, and the like are extremely important if you were going to be able to create your own ammunition.
It is also important that you have the best bullet puller. This is one of your most important tools for many reasons. First of all, you may make a mistake when creating a batch of ammunition which requires you to be able to take that ammunition apart safely. You also want to be able to break apart old ammunition so that you can reuse those cartridges for new ones.
How to Pick the Perfect Bullet Puller for Reloading?
This is a necessary tool for you to be able to continue the reloading process of your cartridges, but understand that there are key factors that you must consider when deciding upon bullet puller that you need. Here are some that you need to consider:
- Type. There are two different types of bullet pullers: inertia and cam-lock.
The inertia type, which is also referred to as a kinetic puller, is shaped very much like a hammer. This kind of puller relies on the friction created when the bullet is created and by using that force you are able to pull the bullet out of the cartridge. It should be noted that it can take several swings before you are able to unseat the bullet, making it so that it is not ideal for everyone.
The cam-lock puller mounds within a reloading press and pulls out the bullet by operating the presses arm. This requires much less physical effort and is ideal for those who have large batches of ammunition to break apart or who have physical disabilities.
- Time. This isn’t a factor you often read about in reviews, but it is something that you need to consider. If you are a person who will put off your cartridge reloading until you have a large batch, maybe even eight or nine dozen, then you may want to look at the cam-lock option. This is not necessarily a quicker option, but it is one that requires less physical exertion which will save you time in the long run. A tired person will have trouble continually going.
- Tools You Have. If you are using the cam-lock option, then you are going to need a press that works with that particular bullet puller. This may mean that you have to buy additional equipment, which may not work for you. The tools you have may limit your choice.
- Durability. The kind of material that the puller is made of is extremely important. Consider that this is a device that requires a great deal of physical strength from the device itself to be able to work. There is a lot of labor involved for the puller, so you one something that is going to last for quite a while.
- Grip. This is especially important for those who opt for the inertia puller. If you were going to be unloading several hundred rounds at a time, you should be aware that this grip is going to be painful in your hand after some time. Maybe even after just 50 strikes. This is why you want to choose something that is comfortable and easy for you to hold.
12 Best Bullet Pullers on the Market
With this in mind, it is now time to start addressing what I found to be the top bullet pullers on the market. This list is not only based upon my own personal testing of the products, but reviews are read as well. I wanted to make sure that I thoroughly tested out each product to see how good it was, so you could have confidence in my thoughts on the products.
#1 RCBS 9440 Bullet Puller
- Easy to use puller that makes removal of bullets from cartridges easy
- Made with outstanding durable material, so you get a puller that lasts
- Works perfectly with a wide range of cartridges
- Fantastic design that works well with various presses as well
- Great brand that you can depend upon for quality products
- Cannot be used with not jacketed or lead bullets
- Comes with no collets
All you need in addition to the puller is to get yourself the die set up in the press with the caliber you intend to use, place the cartridge that contains the bullet you are looking to remove inside the press, lift up the handle, tighten your collet, pull down the handle and the bullet is pulled out easily.
No more hammering like you would normally have to do with inertia bullet pullers. You can break down ammunition much easier with this bullet puller. Best of all, you can purchase additional caliber collets to use within the device so you are not limited to what is provided within the kit itself. Be aware though that you are not able to use non-jacketed bullets or lead bullets with this puller.
This is a product that is made with the highest quality materials, and is perfect for those who are looking for a puller that is quick and easy to use. You will love that its design ensures that you did not damage either the cartridge or ammunition, making it easy to reload should you have created a bad set of rounds.
#2 Hornady 050095 Cam Lock Bullet Puller
- Extremely easy to use
- Allows you to mount to your press to make animal removal even easier
- Built to ensure that there is no damage to the bullet itself
- Includes collets as part of your purchase
- Does not work without you having a reloading press available
- More expensive than some other options on the market
This was one of the first pullers to be specifically designed so that it can be mounted directly on your reloading press. This makes it extremely easy for you to be able to pull out your ammo much faster, especially if you have created a batch that is faulty in some way.
It only takes a matter of a few seconds for you to pull out the bullet from the cartridge and this puller is designed to ensure that the round does not break inside the cartridge. It is one of the safest on the market today, allowing you to unload as many as 20 cartridges in a minute.
The great part about this particular puller is that it uses the strength of your press to remove the ammo. There is very little need for your own physical strength in this operation, ensuring that you aren’t exhausted or sore after unloading rounds. Plus, it is easy to store and build with great durability. A true winner for sure.
#3 Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Impact Bullet Puller for Reloading
- Great design that is built to last
- Easy to use and comes with three collets and four 0-rings
- Great product at a low price
- Built with a comfortable grip making it ideal for prolonged use
- Made of plastic and aluminum so its longevity is a question mark
- Can take up to 30 whacks before you were able to dislodge around
- Really requires a strong surface underneath, like concrete to have success
This puller is extremely easy to use, acting is really nothing more than a hammer that easily allows you to be able to dislodge and pull out the bullet easily and quickly. Some are little skittish about using this type puller, but he will have no concerns after trying this a few times.
This puller allows you to easily release the bullet and powder so it should come right out by using the hammer. It usually takes no more than a couple of whacks to get it to knock out the bullet. It can be used on virtually any type of bullets, anything from .45 to .70 and everywhere in between.
There are three different collets that come with it, making the unloading process even easier. Plus, this is a puller that is built the last. No doubt it work well for you each and every time. You could go out and spend a lot of money on a fancier option, but why do so when you can get everything you need with this durable inertia type puller?
Inertia vs Cam-lock Bullet Puller
I added a brief description about this in the last section, but I want to get a little more detail about the different types of bullet pullers so you can feel comfortable about your choice. As I mentioned, there are two different kinds of bullet pullers – inertia and cam-lock – but some may feel quite uncomfortable with the idea of using a hammer looking device to break apart ammunition. So, a little more explanation is necessary.
The inertia puller is using weight to be able to remove the ammo from the case. The cartridge is held in place in the back of the puller, referred to as the, and you use your momentum to swing the puller at a hard surface, like concrete, to dislodge the ammo from the cartridge.
Most people hear this kind of description related to ammunition and think that there is absolutely no way they could use this without it blowing up in their face or causing serious injury. The truth is that this is an extremely safe means of dislodging ammunition, and is the most common form that people use, because of how easy it is.
Even if you are a beginner, you will find that this is an easy option to use. It is safe and effective, however, you should be aware that it takes a little practice. For a beginner, you may have to whack the cartridge 10 or 20 times to properly dislodge it, slowing you down and adding time it takes to unload your cartridges.
The cam-lock, also referred to as the collet bullet puller, will require the use of a reloading press for you to be successful. Where the inertia puller uses your momentum and strength to remove the bullet, this option actually grabs the bullet and pulls it free by using the handle of the press.
This requires a lot less physical exertion on your part, but it is also more time-consuming, at least for those who are quite efficient with the kinetic option. It takes time to load the cartridge into the press, maybe a few more seconds, but it is still time.
However, it means that you will be a lot less tired if you are doing a large number of rounds. It is simply a matter of time vs. energy. Plus, you will need a press to be able to use this puller.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
There are a lot of people who come to me and asked me questions about these bullet pullers. I guess I have become kind of an expert to them, so here are some of the more frequent once I receive. Hopefully this will answer some questions for you.
#1 Why use a bullet puller?
The purpose of the bullet puller is easy. You will either have situations where you need to break apart your cartridges because you have reloaded them improperly or you simply need to break apart a used cartridge. The bullet puller becomes a necessary tool for any person who is reloading their ammunition. Without one, you will be simply wasting a lot of powder, ammo, and brass.
#2 What type of bullet puller should you choose?
I explain to you the two different types of pullers, so this really becomes an issue of what you feel comfortable with. For generations people have been using the inertia option because it works incredibly well. Simple doesn’t necessarily mean inefficient, and this is a great option.
However, if you are looking for a bullet puller that requires less exertion on your part and you want one that is efficient with every use, then you may want to look at the cam-lock option. It does require you to have a press, but this is a way that you can save yourself some energy and easily get out your ammo without much stress and strain.
#3 How to use a bullet puller?
The advice that I give to most people, especially those who decide to go with the kinetic puller is that they are better off choosing one that comes with a list of instructions. This is an easy option to use, but having a good set of instructions will really be helpful. It makes sense to find one that explains exactly how to use the puller so you will not have any issues in trying to use the product.
#4 Which bullet puller is best?
Being completely honest, I have always loved the inertia options. They work well, they are inexpensive, and they are easy to use. They do require strength and a lot of energy to continue to use them, especially if you are going to do a large batch of rounds, but I find that this became an option that worked out best for me because I rarely actually had to use the product. Once you get good at creating ammunition, you rarely need a product like this, making it beneficial to save yourself some money.
This review has hopefully help you to make a wise decision about what kind of puller works for you. The truth is that there are great options out there, and it is really about what works best for you. Just be safe and take care of your equipment, and you will be happy with which ever purchase you made.