10 Best Gun Cleaning Mat Reviews 2019
Most gun owners don’t realize the importance of purchasing a quality gun cleaning mat. Despite popular belief, gun cleaning mats are different than typical cleaning mats. While one of the leading functions of a gun cleaning mat is to ensure your guns are adequately cleaned in the most efficient way possible, gun cleaning mats also ensure you don’t have to do any extra cleaning after cleaning your gun.
In other words, gun cleaning mats are designed with specific materials and qualities that ensure the cleaning materials don’t seep through or ruin the mat or the area you’re cleaning in. That being said, it’s important to find the best gun cleaning mat for you.
10 Best Gun Cleaning Mats on the Market
|#1 Sage and Braker Mercantile Gun Cleaning Mat||69″ x 16″ x 1/2″|
|#2 Real Avid Handgun Cleaning Combo||19″ x 16″|
|#3 UsefulThingy Gun Cleaning Mat||36″ x 12″|
|#4 TekMat AR-15 Cleaning Mat||36″ x 12″|
|#5 Real Avid Handgun Smart Mat||19″ x 16″|
|#6 Drymate Handgun/Shotgun Gun Cleaning Pad||16″ x 20″ or 16″ x 54″|
|#7 Real Avid MSR Smart Mat||43″ x 16″|
|#8 Glock AD00073 Perfection OEM Cleaning Bench Mat||11″ x 17″|
|#9 Falko Gun Cleaning Mat||36″ x 12″|
|#10 Grizzly Mat Gun Cleaning Mat||35.75″ x 12″|
#1 Sage and Braker Mercantile Gun Cleaning Mat
These materials make the Sage and Braker Mercantile Gun Cleaning Mat extremely durable and long lasting. In fact, the materials are so durable you will most likely be able to pass this gun cleaning mat down a few generations.
Another great aspect of the Sage and Braker Mercantile Gun Cleaning Mat is its oversized design. This gun cleaning mat is 69” long, 16” wide, and ½” thick. In other words, you won’t have to worry about this gun cleaning mat being large enough to accommodate even your largest firearms.
Overall, the Sage and Braker Mercantile Gun Cleaning Mat was designed for avid firearm owners by firearm enthusiasts. In other words, Sage and Braker understands what firearm owners are looking for in a gun cleaning mat. That’s why this is one of the most durable and resilient gun cleaning mats on the market.
- Versatile, so you can use it as a gun cleaning mat as well as a shooting mat.
- Soft wool prevents your firearm from being scratched while you’re cleaning it.
- Pockets allow you to easily store and organize your gun cleaning materials.
- Although it’s oversized, it easily rolls up. So, you can carry and store this gun cleaning mat virtually anywhere.
- Although the leather is extremely durable, it feels like cardboard.
- Oversized design might be too bulky for some gun owners.
#2 Real Avid Handgun Cleaning Combo
- Durable & resilient gun cleaning mat with measurements of 19″ x 16″.
- Parts tray attaches to gun cleaning mat.
- Gun Boss Handgun Cleaning Kit with cleaning rod, nylon jags, slotted tips, and cleaning patches.
- Cleaning mat is extremely durable and plush, which makes it easy to clean your firearm on.
- Attachable parts tray makes it easy to store items as you clean your gun.
- Additional features, such as the cleaning kit, make this one of the most comprehensive gun cleaning mat combos on the market.
- Some of the items, such as the cleaning rod, are faulty.
- Cleaning mat isn’t suitable for oversized firearms.
Since this is a gun cleaning mat review list, let’s focus on the cleaning mat first. The Real Avid Handgun Cleaning Combo cleaning mat is medium sized at 19” by 16”. Like most gun cleaning mats, it is resistant to common gun cleaning materials, such as solvent and oil. The mat even has a parts tray that you can attach to it.
The gun cleaning mat parts tray allows you to keep small parts close by and organized while you’re cleaning your gun. One of the highlight features of the gun cleaning mat is the small magnetic section that keeps the small parts secured.
Another great aspect of the Real Avid Handgun Cleaning Combo is the Gun Boss Handgun Cleaning Kit, which includes a cleaning rod, nylon jags, slotted tips, and cleaning patches. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about purchasing some of the extra materials required for cleaning your gun.
#3 UsefulThingy Gun Cleaning Mat
- Made of plush material.
- Medium sized: 36″ x 12″ x 0.12″.
- Non-slip bottom.
- Rolls up, so you can easily store and transport it.
- Graphics on the mat give you a guide on how to clean your firearm.
- Extremely plush.
- Non-slip bottom, so you don’t have to worry about your gun slipping from your mat while you’re cleaning it.
- Medium size makes this the perfect mat for standard firearm owners.
- Roll up aspect makes it easy to store and carry your gun cleaning mat.
- Graphics are helpful, but hard to see.
- Depending on what lubrication you use, your mat might bubble up.
The UsefulThingy Gun Cleaning Mat is made of some of the highest quality materials currently available. This means the UsefulThingy Gun Cleaning Mat is resilient and long lasting, as well as plush. So, you won’t have to worry about your gun being scratched while you’re cleaning it.
In addition to the plush material, this gun cleaning mat has a non-slip bottom, which means it will stay in place no matter how you pull or tug on it while you’re cleaning your firearm. Whenever you’re ready to pack up your UsefulThingy Gun Cleaning Mat, simply roll it up.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
#1 What to Consider When Buying a Cleaning Mat?
When you’re purchasing a gun cleaning mat, it’s important to keep a few things in mind. The first thing you should consider is the size of your gun. Even if you have a smaller firearm, you might want to consider purchasing a larger gun cleaning mat because you will have more space for your gun cleaning materials.
Another aspect you should consider when buying a gun cleaning mat is any additional features you want your map to have. For example, if you want to keep your gun parts and cleaning materials organized, consider purchasing a gun cleaning map with a side tray attachment.
#2 What are the Benefits of Using a Cleaning Mat?
Using a gun cleaning mat has a ton of benefits. One of the top benefits of using a gun cleaning mat is having peace of mind knowing any gun cleaning solutions you use won’t seep through your mat and ruin your bench or table.
Another benefit of using a cleaning mat is knowing your gun is protected from any damage, such as scratches. If you clean your gun on a rough surface, your gun can easily be scratched.
#3 How to Clean a Cleaning Mat?
There are a few ways you can clean your gun cleaning mat. Some gun cleaning mats are machine washable, which means you can simply throw it into the washer machine. As for mats that aren’t machine washable, simple use soft cloths, such as microfiber cloths to wipe away any potential spills.
#4 How Do I Know When It’s Time to Replace My Cleaning Mat?
Gun cleaning mats don’t necessarily have a designated lifespan. Instead, the appearance and function of your gun cleaning mat are huge indicators when it’s time to replace your gun cleaning mat.
If you regularly spill chemicals on your gun cleaning mat, you should consider purchasing a new mat after a few times you have cleaned your gun. Otherwise, once you notice your mat starting to feel rough or the appearance of the pattern or color starting to fade, consider replacing your gun cleaning mat.