10 Best Gun Cleaning Solvent & Oil Reviews 2019
As a gun owner, you most likely know that cleaning your gun is extremely important. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot adequately clean a gun with soap and water. Instead, you need a special chemical, such as a solvent, to clean your gun. While most gun cleaning kits include virtually everything you need to adequately clean a gun, they usually neglect to include a top gun cleaning solvent. This is why it’s important to do your own research and find a top cleaning solvent.
Since research can take hours and understanding the chemical compositions of each top gun cleaning solvent and oil, we’ve rounded a list of the top ten best cleaning solvents and oils. Check it out below!
10 Best Gun Cleaning Solvents & Oils on the Market
|#1 Hoppe’s No. 9 Synthetic Blend Lubricating Oil||4 fl. oz|
|#2 Sage and Braker Mercantile CLP||4 fl. oz|
|#3 Prom Hoppe’s M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner||1 Gallon|
|#4 Eezox Premium Synthetic Gun Care||0.95/1.5/3/4/7/18/32 oz & 1 Gallon|
|#5 Hoppe’s No. 9 Synthetic Blend Gun Bore Cleaner||16-Ounce|
|#6 Hornady 99901 One Shot Gun Cleaner||10 fl. oz|
|#7 Gunzilla 16oz Turret Top||16 fl. oz|
|#8 Grizzly Grease Non-Toxic CLP||4 fl. oz|
|#9 Advanced Weapons Technology Gun Oil||0.5/1.69/3.38 fl. oz|
|#10 Grizzly Lube Non-Toxic CLP||4 fl. oz|
#1 Hoppe’s No. 9 Synthetic Blend Lubricating Oil
- A truly modern synthetic blend that is specially crafted to keep your gun in the best condition possible.
- Protects your gun from various conditions, such as excessive moisture, rust, and corrosion.
- Reduces friction, which ultimately protects your firearm from aging and malfunctioning sooner than the manufacturer estimates.
- In addition to using this synthetic blend on a firearm, you can use it as a lubricating oil for other outdoor equipment, such as fishing reels.
- Designed to completely protect your firearm from any wear or tear.
Immediately, this product deserves to be raved about for its secure design. Let’s face it: if someone, such as a child, misuses gun cleaning lubricant, it could cause severe damage and even injury. Hoppe’s understands this, which is why they’ve designed a child proof lid that ensures only you will be able to access the lubricating oil when you need to.
The Hoppe’s No. 9 Synthetic Blend Lubricating Oil has a synthetic CLP formulation, which proves to be one of the strongest available. This means the Hoppe’s No. 9 Synthetic Blend Lubricating Oil is specially designed to protect your firearm against anything, such as rust.
This synthetic gun cleaning lubricating oil is also good for acting as a protectant for your gun when you plan on storing it for a long time. Long-term storage can be detrimental to your gun, but with the Hoppe’s No. 9 Synthetic Blend Lubricating Oil, you won’t have to worry about your gun aging and rotting away, which would affect its use.
#2 Sage and Braker Mercantile CLP
- Innovative modern non-harsh chemical composition that is non-toxic and even biodegradable. Therefore, it’s safer for your health and the environment than compared to other CLP products.
- Protects your gun from all minerals, even including those traditionally unprotected by CLPs, such as dust and sand.
- Helps to regulate a moderate temperature within your gun.
- Adequately cleans and protects your gun from common conditions, such as rust and crud.
One of the things you should first notice with the Sage and Braker Mercantile CLP is the smell. Unlike other gun cleaning solvents and oils, the Sage and Braker Mercantile CLP actually smells really good. Although this might seem like a minor pro of this product, it’s actually a huge advantage. After all, no one wants to deal with the headaches of working with a pungent product.
Aside from the fact the Sage and Braker Mercantile CLP smells good, it’s one of the strongest and most effective gun cleaning solvents on the market. The potential of this product is no joke. In other words, it effectively cleans your gun in the shortest amount of time. We even discovered that you only have to use this solvent half the regular time that you normally would need to clean a gun.
It’s also helpful that this gun cleaning solvent is completely versatile. Most gun cleaning solvents require you to either use a bore or a brush. But, with the Sage and Braker Mercantile CLP, you can use whatever cleaning tool you please!
One of the biggest advantages of the Sage and Braker Mercantile CLP is that it’s composed with a secret comprehensive solution that protects your gun from dust, unlike other CLPs. So, you won’t have to worry about cleaning dust off your gun every time you want to use it. This also helps the gun maintain good condition for a longer time.
#3 Prom Hoppe’s M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner
- A comprehensive and advanced solution that truly makes it easier and quicker to adequately clean your firearm.
- Comprehensive chemical solution, which isn’t pungent and has biodegradable and even non-toxic qualities. In other words, this is one of the safest gun cleaning solutions to work with.
- Targets carbon and other minerals from the core, which ensures they are completely removed and won’t build up again.
- Between this solvent’s cleaning composition and protectant qualities, your firearm will have an improved rate of reliability, as well as accuracy. In other words, it will be in the best condition possible.
The Prom Hoppe’s M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner is primarily raved about because it has a military-grade composition. In other words, this gun cleaning solvent is designed to use with even the most professional firearms that military professionals use, which means it will more than adequately clean your standard firearm.
One of the nicest features of the Prom Hoppe’s M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner is its easy to use design, which comes in a classic spray bottle that features a safety switch, so you don’t have to worry about accidentally spraying the cleaning solvent when you don’t mean to.
The next phenomenal feature of the Prom Hoppe’s M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner is its innovative chemical composition, which ensures every ounce of carbon is removed from your firearm. This contrasts traditional gun cleaning solvents, which only seem to focus on the surface level of carbon.
This means the Prom Hoppe’s M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner solution is designed to clean every ounce of carbon and other minerals from your gun to ensure that there isn’t anything left over that will build up over time. This creates a smooth and clean bore, which promotes optimal condition and use.
Top Gun Cleaning Solvent FAQs
#1 Why Do I Need to Use Cleaning Solvents and Not Water?
Contrary to popular belief, using water to clean your done barely cleans your gun. In fact, most of the time it actually doesn’t do anything but further damage your gun because water rusts the metal materials of your gun.
On the other hand, gun cleaning solvents are specially crafted with innovative strong chemicals that won’t harm your gun. Instead, these chemicals actively work to adequately clean, protect, and lubricate your gun, so it stays in good condition for a long time.
#2 How to Choose the Best Gun Cleaning Solvent?
Choosing the best gun cleaning solvent for you can be difficult. Generally, you should keep the following things in mind when you’re choosing a gun cleaning solvent:
- The type of equipment you’re using. For example, a bore snake works better with comprehensive CLPs than different kinds of cleaning equipment.
- Whether you want a comprehensive CLP, so you don’t have to purchase multiple solvents, or a simple solvent solution.
- Whether you want a thicker solution for quicker results, or a thinner solution that’s easier to manipulate.
#3 How Can I Use a Cleaning Solvent?
Using a gun cleaning solvent is actually easier than it seems. Typically, all you have to do is integrate it into your regular gun cleaning routine. But, it’s important to make sure that you’re using your gun cleaning solvent properly. So, make sure to check the instructions that are usually located on the back of the solvent bottle.
#4 Why Does Some Spray Have a Pungent Smell?
Some gun cleaning solvents are made with harsh chemicals. While these harsh chemicals are often military grade and will more than adequately clean your gun, they are so potent and strong that they create a pungent smell that ultimately makes it hard to work with.
Luckily, most modern day gun cleaning solvents are made with biodegradable chemicals that are not only beneficial for the environment, but create a better working environment because they have little to no smell.
#5 How Can I Store Cleaning Solvents?
Since gun cleaning solvents are made with advanced and innovative chemicals, it’s important that you properly store your gun cleaning solvent when it’s not in use.
Luckily, most gun cleaning solvents come in secured containers. So, at least you don’t have to worry about securing the product while it’s not in use so it doesn’t spill or accidentally harm someone.
Generally speaking, you should keep your gun cleaning solvent with the rest of your gun cleaning products. Furthermore, all of these products should be stored in a safe and temperature regulated room, such as a closet or garage.