Gun safe can be one of the best investments you make, especially if you have firearms, jewelry, or other valuables that you want to ensure that you protect properly. While many safes are rather small in size, there are those that are much larger, allowing you the capability to be able to store such things as long rifles, important documents, external hard drives and other digital media containers, and much more.
The problem is that the more you have the harder it is to find, and this is where the purchase of a safe lighting system could be the ideal choice for you. This not only allows you to be able to find materials, making you better organized, but ensures that in an emergency where you need to find your firearms quickly, you can locate what you need in a situation where seconds matter.
Have Some Time? Here’s What You Need to Know…
Buyer’s Guide : Finding the Best Gun Safe Lighting System
Before deciding upon what kind of lighting system you want for your safe, it is important to understand some of the key factors in making a good decision for yourself. Here are some you want to consider.
- LED vs CFL. There are really two different types of bulbs that can be used. The LED option last longer and is significantly more energy-efficient, but they are much more costly. The CFL bulbs are fluorescent bulbs that most of us are more familiar with. They work well, but take up more energy and don’t last nearly as long of course, they are much cheaper.
- Power source. The two different forms of power you can have our AC or DC. AC requires that you have a power cord plugged in to a wall outlet. This means you must drill a hole through your safe to be able to accommodate the cord, something you may not want to do if you have a fireproof or waterproof safe. The DC option uses a battery pack, which removes the need for a cord but requires you to recharge or replace the batteries frequently.
- Motion Sensor vs Switch. Some LED lighting units will turn on the moment that they detect motion, such as your safe door opening. Others have a switch that she would manually press to turn on the light.
- Mounting. How the lights connect to your safe is important as well. Does this kit, with all of the necessary hardware to connect into your safe? Some offer you a frame that you can easily slide or secure to the top or side of your safe.
10 Best Gun Safe Lighting System on the Market!
#1 Liberty Safe Clearview WAND LED Light Kit
- Provides a great deal of illumination for your safe
- The inclusion of self adhesive backing makes it easier to install
- Gives you extended lifespan through its durability and efficiency
- Great motion sensors
- The connector cords between strips can come loose easily
- Requires you to drill a hole through your safe to be able to power the kit
Included is all of the hardware you would need to install and activate the product. This includes a cord and connector cords to go between each individual strip. Plus, it is a lot easier to install than you may have thought. Each strip comes with its own self adhesive backing, making it easy for you to be able to connect to any location in your safe.
The one challenge you will have an installation is that this is a corded product, meaning you are going to have to drill a hole through your safe to be able to install the cord. This may be something you don’t want to do if you have a fireproof or waterproof safe, as it can reduce the efficiency of those features.
Liberty is a brand that you can trust, producing high quality products for quite some time. You will truly be satisfied with this choice if you decide that it is right for you. You will also love the fact that it is motions activated and a durable product, built to last up to 30,000 hours of use.
#2 Light My Safe Executive Gun Safe Lighting Kit
- Provides all the light you could possibly need for your safe
- Easy to assemble and to attach to the inside of your safe
- The perfect choice for somebody who has a larger sized gun safe, up to 60 inches
- Not really built for any kind of safe smaller than 4 feet
- Positioning to ensure it does not obstruct the locking bolt can be a challenge in some safes
The strips easily attach to your safe by using connectors that easily attach the strips to your safe. In a matter of a few minutes you can have your entire lighting system up and running. Because seven different strips are included, you can be sure that every part of your safe will be well lit.
The source of power is the use of an electrical cord that plugs into a standard outlet. This will mean that you will need to run the cord three your safe and into the strips. Requiring that you drill a hole in your safe to enable the cord to slide through there is also a motion sensor included as part of the kit. This activates the lights when motion is detected up to 3 m away. The entire amount of light is 2250 lumens.
You will also like that this comes with a lifetime warranty, assuring you of the quality of the kit. Truly a fantastic option that you can count on to provide the light you need for your safe for decades.
#3 Kuled 10-led Wireless Motion Sensing LED Light
- Very easy to install, and able to use in multiple locations in your home
- Provides you with 10 LED lights per strip, giving you plenty of power
- An eco-friendly option, which turns on only when someone comes within 3 m and shuts off after 10 seconds of inactivity
- The motion sensor is not as responsive as described
- You may have to fix the sensor by taking out the batteries and reinstalling them
- Batteries need to be replaced more frequently than you would think
This is a cordless option, providing you with 10 LED lights per strip. Each pack comes with three strips included, allowing you to use in multiple locations. In fact, one of the things that you will truly love about this is that the product is built to you be used just about anywhere. It’s perfect for your safe, but you could find it to be a great option in your bathroom, hallway, or garage.
An auto motion sensor illuminates the light, and it will shut back off if there is 10 seconds of inactivity around the sensor. This will help to prevent the batteries from dying out quickly, and helps to preserve energy, making it a great eco-friendly option. Turns on when you come within 3 m of the light. This would make it a good addition as an emergency light should you want to be notified if someone is coming around your home at nighttime.
The product is extremely easy to install. A tight suction magnet is included and is all that is needed. No need for screws or any other hardware. Just peel off the tape on the magnets and you are ready to go. This also enables you to be able to remove the light from your safe if you need to use it somewhere else.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
While this review has probably answered most of the questions related to purchasing a lighting system for your safe, here are some others that may have crossed your mind.
#1 Do I really need a lighting system for my safe?
If one is totally honest with you, the answer to this is no. But It is a good idea to have a lighting system for your safe, especially if you have a larger safe where you store a number of materials. However, if you have your safe in a location where it is well lit already, you may find that this is unnecessary purchase.
#2 Is the cord better or should I get a cordless option?
This is an important question. Having a safe that uses a cord means that your power is always available to you. However, it also means that you have to drill a hole through the safe to enable the cord to be able to slide through. If you have a waterproof or fireproof safe, you are ruining that protection by adding a space where water or heat can enter your safe.
#3 How many lumens do I need for my safe?
This is a very good question. Some of the products you have reviewed provided as much light as 2250 lumens. That is pretty bright to be honest. If your safe is in a location where it is rather dark, you may find this to be a good choice, but if it is in a spot where it is already well lit or if you have a smaller size safe than this much light can be overkill.
#4 Would it be weird to use these lighting systems in other places in my home?
They say that necessity is the mother of all invention, which means that if something works for you there’s really no reason to not use it. These lighting systems are very sophisticated and give many give you the ability to stretch them over an extended space, the perfect choice for someone who wants an under-cabinet lighting system that illuminates their countertops.
#5 Is a motion sensor really necessary?
It is really a convenience more than anything else. It honestly doesn’t take very much for you to turn on a switch to illuminate your safe. However, you may really like the idea that the sensor will shut off your lights when there is an extended period of inactivity, saving you energy.
#6 For whom gun safe lights are designed?
Gun safe lighting features have actually been created for most safes and almost any safe will allow you to place this on them. When you compare costs, you will notice that it is much cheaper to buy a safe and a gun safe lighting features that buying a safe with one already fitted. The reason for this is the battery quality of the built-in gun safe lighting features are much better than the separate portable lighting features, but ultimately, it will remain the choice of the gun safe owner to choose the best one for their needs.