No one likes to think that they’re going to be mugged, attacked, raped, or even assaulted, but we live in an age where you have to defend yourself. There are a lot of people out there up to no good, which means you need to be ready for any kind of danger.
You could take self-defense courses or by yourself a gun, but getting proficient in either can take some time. You may not have a lot of time. You may be in a situation where you walk home from work or school, or where you are walking to your car at night and are concerned about your safety. This is where pepper spray can be the perfect solution.
Pepper spray not only gives you a big advantage over a potential assailant, what is easy to use and effective. It is what every person needs who finds themselves in a dangerous situation on a regular basis.
Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the Best Pepper Spray
While you can clearly see the advantage of having pepper spray with you, especially in this age, choosing the right one and knowing what one to choose is important. Here are some features to consider when making your choice.
- Number of Shots. Another way that this is described is the number of bursts it will provide. The more bursts, means the number of times that it will continue to shoot at your assailant before running out of the chemical. The size of the container thing the product will often determine this, but also how the chemical is dispersed will play a role.
- Refill-ability. Can you refill the canister is another concern. Many are disposable, meaning once that you have used it you simply have to throw it away. If you find yourself in need of this kind of product on a frequent basis, you either need to consider moving or choosing a product that can be refilled. Replacing a canister can get costly over time.
- Range. Range is important as well. You want something that you can use so that your attacker does not get close enough to you before you were able to spray them. Some of the products you will see are highly effective, but only have a range of three or 4 feet. If you are a small person, that may not be enough of a range.
- Type of Spray. There are several different types of spray types. This stream is very much like a squirt gun. It shoots the chemical out in one continuous stream, which usually means that you get a lot more range. The fog or type is not great for long distance, but covers a wider area. If you find that there are facing more than one attacker, this may be the ideal product to defend yourself. The foam or glob shoots a gel at your assailant. They usually cover a smaller distance, but once they coat someone’s face they are debilitating to say the least.
- Size. Size is important as well. Depending upon the kind of pepper spray you choose and the circumstances where you intend to use it, size will determine if it is even valuable for you to carry. If you are not able to store it in your purse or pocket, or carry it with you while you jog, it may be of no used to you. However, there are great options out there that come with clips or holsters that can be attached to your belt or pants that eliminate size concerns.
- Ingredients. The ingredients used in the chemical is also important. Pepper spray is made of a chemical called Oleoresin Capsicum, or OC. The stronger the chemical, the more powerful it is. Some products will also include tear gas and UV dyes. The tear gas is intended to dilate sinuses making it impossible for the person to see and read. The UV dye gives a trackable compound so the police can identify the person once they are apprehended.
12 Best Pepper Sprays to Buy
Now that you have an idea of some of the key features to look for when choosing a pepper spray, a few good suggestions may help you to make the right choice. There are some great options out there, so choosing what works best for you and how you would use to pepper spray is important. Here are 12 options you may want to consider.
#1 SABRE ADVANCED Compact Pepper Spray
- Provides up to 35 bursts
- Comes with the maximum strength power to stop an assailant
- Videos and practice canisters help you to feel safer and more secure with the product
- Comes at a price that simply can’t be beat
- The range is good, ensuring no blowback
- The design is made rather cheap
- The safety latch has been known to fall off because it comes loose
The solution has been laboratory tested. It is guaranteed to provide the maximum stopping power available. In fact, testing conducted at the University of Utah found that 30% of pepper sprays fail, but that will not be the case here.
The spray canister provides a burst up to 10 feet for range, and provides up to 35 bursts. We also love the fact that it came with a four year shelf life, at least a year more than many of the other options available on the market.
The trigger is reinforced with twist locks that prevent you from accidentally spraying someone. However, they are easy to remove and deploy in an emergency. They will not become a hindrance to you being able to protect yourself.
One thing you will like is that you can purchase a practice spray to make it easier to learn how to use and deploy. Plus, there are free training videos and tips that are provided. You will feel confident in using this product, and they have done everything imaginable to help you to feel safer. It truly is safety in a can.
#2 Fox Labs ACK Top Stream Pepper Spray
- Provides up to 18 total bursts
- Contains a UV dye and a high potency strength formula that should easily incapacitate your assailant and make them easy to find
- Stream provides up to 20 feet in range
- The flip top mechanism ensures that you get optimal safety and ensures there won’t be accidental discharge
- Only provides a three year shelf life
- A little bit more expensive than some other options
The flip top is a great safety feature, which ensures that you don’t accidentally discharge the spray. However, it is not cumbersome to open in an emergency, ensuring that you are ready to go when you need to defend yourself the most.
Included in the spray is an invisible UV dye that will show up under black light. This will keep your assailant from knowing that he or she may have been marked, but will let police or other law enforcement officials easily identify them once they are apprehended.
It is true that the shelf life of this product is a lot less than many of the other in this review. You will find that the canister will last up to about three years, putting it about a year last than many of the others mentioned. However, it’s high strength formula and the fact that it releases a large discharge when pressed is something you can’t beat. This is a product you are looking to use when your safety matters most, and having something that will give a high discharge that will incapacitate your assailant makes it a worthwhile option.
It is priced a little higher than many other choices you will see in this review, but once again it is about your safety. You will have little concern about accidentally discharging, but a lot of confidence that when it does no one is going to be harming you then.
#3 Fox Labs Law Enforcement Defense Spray
- Easy to hold and use
- Comes with a safety lock to ensure you don’t accidentally discharge it
- Handle grip and design makes accuracy a snap
- Comes in a larger size 12 ounce can
- Comes with a three year warranty
- The holster does not come along with the product
- It is one of the most expensive products you will find
The pepper spray has a 5.3 million Scoville heat units rating. It comes with one of the most highly concentrated formulas, meaning that the pepper spray will have an instant effect on almost any assailant. It is designed using an inflammatory agent, which will cause serious irritation right away. You will be stunned at how quick and responsive the formula is.
Included in the product is a 12 ounce can with a secure handle. This makes it easy to hold and aim, and you will love the long range that it provides. Plus, it gives you a good number of verse and makes it easy to aim and fire, even if you need to use it several times. Plus, a small safety lock is included that makes it easy to store and ensures that you don’t accidentally discharge it.
A three year warranty is included. This is nice considering there are reports that the propellant can the road or leak out over time.
You know when a product is used by law enforcement officials that it has some merit to it. This is one you will find that is easy to use and will give you the kind of advantage you need against an attacker. When seconds matter, you want something you know is going to protect you.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some commonly asked questions related to pepper sprays:
#1 What are pepper sprays made of?
It depends upon the kind of spray that you purchase, but the primary ingredient of pepper spray is Oleoresin Capsicum, frequently referred to as OC. This is an extract from red peppers, and is one of the most irritating chemicals naturally produced.
#2 What does pepper spray feel like?
Pepper spray will create a burning sensation on your skin, in your eyes, and in your nose. While not causing physical burn, it does irritate the skin enough that it can incapacitate a person for quite some time. Even when flushed with water for 10 or 15 minutes, a person can still feel the effects of pepper spray.
#3 What does pepper spray do?
Pepper spray acts as an irritant on your skin. It creates a burning sensation, which can be extremely effective in a person’s eyes and nasal cavities. While the effects are not permanent, it will burn and hurt like hell for quite some time. If not treated right away, the effects can last for an hour or more.
#4 How long does pepper spray last?
If not treated right away, pepper spray can last up to an hour on your skin. The most severe effects will last between 15 and 20 minutes, which is plenty of time for a person to be able to get away should they use this spray to escape an assailant.
#5 How old do you have to be to carry pepper spray?
It depends upon the state in which you live. Most require that a person be at least 18 years old, but you should check with local law enforcement officials. Delaware, for example, requires that a person be at least 18, but Georgia has no legal age restrictions at all.
#6 How long does pepper spray last on skin?
If not washed away or treated, it can stay on your screen for quite some time. Even with treatment you are likely to see redness and feel irritation four hours after.
#7 How to get rid of pepper spray?
Should you get pepper spray on yourself, you want to flush the affected areas with water as quickly as possible. If it gets in your eyes start to blank is rapidly as you can to cause your eyes to begin to tear, which will help to flush out the spray. Use soap and water on affected areas of your skin.
#8 When can you pepper spray someone?
You should only use pepper spray on another person when you are threatened or endangered by that person. This is not a toy, and should not be treated as such. While deaths from pepper spray are extremely rare, it can lead to a number of complications, especially for people that suffer from respiratory disorders like asthma.
#9 How much does pepper spray cost?
It depends upon the kind and product that you purchase. In this review we have seen some options that were less than $10, while others reached to just under $80 or $90. It is really dependent upon the concentration of the product as well as how the device is designed that allows you to spray the compound.
#10 Where to buy pepper spray?
You can buy pepper spray and a number of locations. It is available online, and a number of specialty shops sell it as well. In fact, many smoke shops sell pepper spray as one of their products. A search on line will help you to be able to locate local establishments within your area.