10 Best Shooting Rest Reviews 2019
Even the best marksmen will have challenges with stability at times. This is especially true with people as they get older, where the body is not as strong, thus causing them to miss shots.
You should not lose your ability to enjoy your time out hunting, on the range, or in other places because of your inability to hold a stable position. Instead you should seek to use a tool that will help you to hold your position, making sure you hit the target every single time.
This is where the use of a shooting rest can come in handy. It allows you to get a stable position to ensure that your shot is accurate every single time you set up for a shot. These shooting rests can be the perfect option for anyone who has missed a shot because their hands got tired, they could not keep their rifle stable, or the weather or wind influenced their ability to hold completely still.
Buyer’s Guide : How to Make the Right Choice?
It is clear that a shooting rest can be the perfect solution for any person who spends a significant amount of time out on the range or in the field. However, choosing the right shooting rest for you can be based upon several factors. This includes:
- Portability. Where you intend to use the rest is important. If this is something you are going to take to a stationary location where you intend to sit for hours before shooting at your target, then portability is less important. However, if you see yourself moving around or using it in a variety of situations, then your ability to take it with you without it weighing down on you is important.
- Space. How much space is needed to set it up is also important. You may have a limited area in which to set up your shooting rest. Space is also important when considering how much room it takes in your bag. If you are a person who takes food, drinks, and ammunition, carrying a bulky rest may not work for you.
- Stability. This is obviously one of the most important factors. It is likely that your primary reason for purchasing a shooting rest is to provide you with greater stability. Choosing one that offers you this is essential, especially when shooting at longer distances.
- Adjustability. This does not only include your ability to make fine or coarse adjustments. Some enable you to be much more flexible about moving the weapon in a wider area. Some only offer you vertical or horizontal adjustments. Choose something that gives you the flexibility you desire.
- Reduced Recoil. When you have a weapon that comes with a lot of recoil, having a shooting rest that absorbs a good portion of that recoil can be a valuable tool in your arsenal. A good shooting rest will not only provide stabilization but will then some or all of that recoil.
- Use. Where you intend to use the shooting rest is important as well. This is why we have provided you with shooting rest options for 10 different situations of where you might be likely to use your product.
Top 10 Shooting Rests on the Market Right Now!
|#1 Caldwell the Rock BR Rifle Shooting Rest||Best Shooting Rest for Sighting In|
|#2 Caldwell Lead Sled FCX Recoil Reducing Rifle Rest||Best Rifle Shooting Rest|
|#3 Caldwell Matrix Rifle Pistol Handgun Shooting Rest||Best Pistol Shooting Rest|
|#4 Caldwell Lead Sled DFT 2 Rifle Shooting Rest||Best Lead Sled Shooting Rest|
|#5 CTK Precision P3 Ultimate Shooting Rest||Best Adjustable Shooting Rest|
|#6 Vanguard Porta Aim Gun Rest||Best Portable Shooting Rest|
|#7 Caldwell Tack Driver Shooting Rest||Best Shooting Rest Bag|
|#8 Caldwell Lead Sled Solo Shooting Rest||Best Shooting Rest for the Money|
|#9 MTM K-Zone KSR-30 Rifle Pistol Handgun Shooters Rest||Best Shooting Rest For AR15|
|#10 Benchmaster Portable Shooting Rest||Best Shooting Bench Rest|
#1 Caldwell the Rock BR Rifle Shooting Rest – Best Shooting Rest for Sighting In
- Allows you to make a number of fine adjustments, which are superior to most other products
- Built to provide you with maximum stability
- Help secure your firearm in place to help improve accuracy
- Built with durable materials that should make it last for decades
- Adjustments hold even after firing 40 rounds or more
- A much better product in comparison to similar options, and comes at a cheaper price than them
- The product is not well machined, which is a disappointment
- This is a large product to carry with you, making it unusable for some
This is a 13 pound shooting rest that has a diameter of 14 inches and provides two-stage elevation. This gives you unbelievable accuracy, helping you to adjust for windage, plus create adjustments for find elevation independently of the remaining mechanisms in the shooting rest.
Two locking bolts help to hold your firearm in place, which rests in a padded seat that provides maximum stability. There are seven other mechanisms on the shooting rest that allow you to adjust for height, direction, and conditions. You will get maximum precision positioning with this rest, which is why it has become such a popular choice.
What you will like is that it is not complicated to use either. It provides you with great versatility, but the ease-of-use is something you are really going to like. In addition, this product comes with an empty bag that allows you to put sand, dirt, or silica inside the bag to help stabilize the rest.
What you will truly like about this product is that everything has been taken into account to assist you in having a shooting rest that will help to stabilize your firearm. You will make much more accurate shots, and will enjoy how durably made it is as well.
#2 Caldwell Lead Sled FCX Recoil Reducing Rifle Rest – Best Rifle Shooting Rest
- Allows for fast and precise crosshair alignment to make setting up shots quick and easy
- Easily fits most models of rifle and shotgun
- Is built with a heavy duty construction that ensures you get maximum durability
- Easily adjusts for both windage and elevation with a simple use of the joystick
- Gives you maximum precision and stability
- Built for both left and right handed shooters
- At 22 pounds, may be a bit too heavy to carry for some who are heading into the wilderness
- A lot more costly than other options
- The joystick is a little temperamental, and take some getting used to so that you get maximum benefit
This Caldwell product comes with a joystick that allows you to make both fine and coarse adjustments so that you can secure the weapon in place and have it positioned exactly where you need it. A bar comes from the main part of the product that enables you to lock the butt of the weapon in place, and a padded, seated rest holds the center portion of your firearm secure.
Not only does this give you maximum stability, ensuring that weather conditions and other factors do not influence your shots, but it provides for a great level of comfort as well, enabling you to be able to hold your position longer. This is an ergonomically designed product, which will be easy for you to use and to assemble.
A shooting bag is included, helping you to secure the shooting rest in position. This can be filled with sand or dirt, and is easily emptied. It is clear that the company understood how to make an outstanding product when they put this one together, and you will love how easy it is for you to assemble and take apart. It is perfect for any marksman who needs maximum precision from a shooting rest.
#3 Caldwell Matrix Rifle Pistol Handgun Shooting Rest – Best Pistol Shooting Rest
- Allows you to use this product with almost any type of firearm.
- The newly designed elevation system makes it easy to control and stabilize your weapon with just one hand.
- The front and elevation system comes with its own built-in construction giving you greater power to adjust to fit your needs.
- The entire length of the rest is adjustable to fit the user.
- Not made for such weapons as an AR-15 or similar style weapon.
- The front rest is too hard.
- The position of the adjustments set screw is where your hand would go if you use the pistol rest. Fairly inconvenient
One of the things that most like about the design of this shooting rest is that it uses a two piece frame which is open in the center. This allows you to get the perfect clearance for your firearm, while also ensuring that you’re getting maximum stability.
The front base comes with a removable lid that adds additional clearance for you. The rear support is made with a rubber coating, not only helping to secure the weapon in place but also protecting it from getting damaged.
This is a great Caldwell product that is perfectly designed for use with both long rifles and handguns. Because of how well it is constructed, you can count on it being a reliable rest for you for years to come. In fact, many love that the over molded front and rear cradles ensure that you get greater protection for both the shooting rest and for your firearms.
This is easy to set up, and comes with adjustment knobs that are easy to manipulate for both fine and coarse adjustment. At just 2.2 pounds and 7.1 inches in its longest proportion, the product is easy to take with you wherever you go.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the more common questions related to the use and purchase of a shooting rest.
#1 Why Use a Shooting Rest?
The primary reason why a person would use a shooting rest is to provide greater stability. No matter how long you have been firing a weapon, you will probably find that over time your ability to stabilize your rifle or handgun can diminish. This is especially true if you have already been out for long hours. Having a stabilizing force to assist you in being more accurate can be an essential tool in your arsenal.
#2 What is Benchrest Shooting?
Benchrest shooting is a sport where the rifle is stabilized using a type of shooting rest and competitors fire at paper targets. This is a type of competition that has existed since after the Civil War, and has become quite popular because of the intense competition between those who participate.
#3 What Shooting Rests are Best for Beginners?
There is really not one that is better for beginners than others. What is important is that you are comfortable with using the shooting rest and that it offers the beginner the ability to easily use the product. Something that is difficult to use will not be used, which makes it a waste of money.
#4 What are the Leading Brands of Shooting Rest?
While there are great products from a number of brands, no one can argue with the fact that Caldwell is the leader in this particular industry. It says a lot that six of the top 10 options we presented in this review came from this brand.
#5 What Should I Use to Fill Rifle Rest Bags?
That really depends upon the kind of shooting rest that you purchased. Most hunters and marksmen simply fill a bag with lead shot, as this becomes the perfect choice. However, you could fill it with sand, dirt, even with birdseed. Whatever provides you with the proper weight necessary to keep your stand in place is all that matters.
#6 What Shooting Positions Work With a Rifle Rest?
That depends upon the rest that you are purchasing. A table rest allows you to sit at the table while positioning your firearm. Some are built to either position on the ground or on a stable object like a wall retrieve branch. Then there are others that enable you to sit or even stand while firing your weapon.
#7 How Do Rifle Rests Differ from Handgun Rests?
As you have seen in this review, there are some shooting rest that actually provide you with both handgun and rifle positioning. The primary difference between these types of positions is that the handgun rest needs to have the rear seating so that it is close enough to the front seating for the length of a handgun.
#8 Are Rifle Rests Difficult to Assemble?
Some are extremely easy, and can almost be used straight out of the box. However, there are some that require a lot more time for you to be able to use the product. This is an important factor to consider when purchasing your product. Make sure you review the description of the shooting rest before you purchase it so you know whether you have to do a lot of work before it is ready to use.
#9 Are Shooting Rests Only for Long Barrel Guns?
Not at all. We saw options in this review that were used for handguns. It all depends on if you are able to adjust the shooting rest so that smaller sized weapons are able to be used. Also, if you purchase a product that only has a front seating then almost any type of weapon can be used with it.
#10 What are the Differences Between a Gun Vise and a Shooting Rest?
There is a huge difference between these two things. The gun vise is used to hold your gun in place while you are doing maintenance or cleaning. The shooting rest is what you use to stabilize your weapon while you are shooting it.