What this tells you is that if you have a safe that uses a key there is likely going to be an instance where you have lost your key and need to gain access into your safe. You may have placed the key in a secure location and forgot where it was at. You may have lost the key when you lost your keys or the key may have been stolen. You just never know what the case may be.
Don’t Panic, It’s Not the End of the World
If you are a person who is ever lost your car or house keys, you know how incredibly frustrating this can be. You search everywhere, only to find that you cannot locate them.
Often times, a duplicate key can be found or you can contact the locksmith to come out and give you access into your car home. That may not be the case with your safe. So, what do you do if you have lost your key and don’t know where to find it? Here are some quick ideas you can try before having to contact a professional.
Contact the Company
The first step to take is to contact the company. You may find that by providing your model number and serial number that they may be able to provide you with a duplicate key to replace the one that is lost. You may have to spend a little bit of money and have to wait a week or two, but if you have the time and money it’s your place to begin.
Use a Knife
Before going into this explanation, it is important to give you a little dose of reality. A lot of people out there may be thinking that their key lock safe is the perfect choice because it denies a thief the ability to get into your safe and less they have the key. There are some more sophisticated safes that have locks that are difficult to access without the key, but understand that there are tricks that many can employ to get in. This includes the use of a knife.
While you may not like hearing this, you may have a great deal of success opening your safe by using a knife. By pushing the knifes pointed tip into the keyhole and simply shaking it, you may find that the lock will begin to turn in a matter of seconds. You may have your safe open in no more than 5 to 10 seconds.
Use a Hammer
If you own a digital safe that also uses a key and you find that you don’t know the passcode and your key is lost or missing, then a chisel and hammer may be the solution for you. There is a key place on the safe where the code is provided. This is the spot where you want to try to open your safe.
- Begin by taking the chisel and placing it in the corner of your safe. Then use your hammer to start banging on the end of the chisel and table you are able to dislodge the keypad.
- Once you have done so, you will notice that behind that keypad are knobs and screws. This will include a silver knob. Take your chisel and remove that knob.
- From there, you will find that there is a hole in the safe. Insert your finger into that whole and you will feel a button on the lower side that you simply press. This will open your safe.
Use a Screwdriver
Much like using a knife, you can also use a screwdriver to try to gain access into your safe. Take a flat head screwdriver and inserted into the keyhole. Begin to rotate the screwdriver counterclockwise until you feel the lock begin to open.
Use a Paperclip
Yes, those movies and television shows that show a person using a paperclip to gain access into a safe are telling the truth. By opening one end of the paperclip so that the pointy end is sticking down, you can then take it and inserted into the internal chamber. You want to ensure that it is deep enough into the lock. Use a pair of tweezers and turn the paperclip counterclockwise until you feel the safe, unlocked.
Use a Magnet
A magnet is another way that you can gain access into your safe. This is a little trickier, but it is one that works.
- You will need a larger sized magnet. Take the magnet and inserted into a gym sock.
- You may be wondering why a gym sock is necessary. As a quick note, the reason that you use this is so that sliding the magnet along the door of the safe is a smooth transition.
- Now what you are looking to do is to find the solenoid. This usually comes with nickel as one of the metals that is used in the locking device.
- Consider that your safe door is only so big, so moving along the end where your safe door opens on the front you should be able to find that location where the solenoid is located. Slowly slide the magnet across the safe and tell you begin to hear the solenoid move.
If you have tried each of these to no avail, then it is time to turn to some extreme options. First, you may want to consider drilling your way into the safe.
With a drill, you can make a small hole in the safe that allows you to see the lock inside. After you do this, insert your finger into the safe and unlock the lock. Way to get your safe open, it also means you are never going to use the save again.
You may also find that your safe door is made with a material that makes it impossible to drill. Even with the best of drills you may have no success getting through the door.
If all else fails, you may have to turn to a professional. A professional locksmith may be able to replace your key or gain access into the safe. You may not want a professional coming out and seeing what your safe is located, but if this is the only way you can get into your safe you may have to risk.
Hopefully these tips should be able to give you the access into your safe you need. Losing your key can be extremely frustrating. Just don’t panic at first, try these steps and hopefully you will be in your safe in no time.