Protecting your valuables, including media files, firearms, and jewelry, are incredibly important to you. They may not only have great monetary value to you, but may be keepsakes you simply can’t afford to depart with. This is why you want the very best safe.
A major issue that you may have with your safe is that fire can still damage your valuables, so you want a safe that is going to be able to withstand the intense heat for a long enough period of time to enable the fire department to be able to respond and put out the fire. This is why you need to find one of the best fireproof safes on the market today.
Of course, protecting your valuables from burglars and thieves is not the only concern that you may have. It is true that you want something that will protect your property from thieves, but you are also likely looking for something that can withstand a great deal of heat.
Have Some Time? Here’s What You Need to Know…
Top Fireproof Safe & Cabinets on the Market Right Now!
Here are 12 safes categorized by specific needs to help you to find the ideal choice for yourself.
|#1 FireKing Patriot 2P1825-CBL Filing Cabinet||Best Fireproof File Cabinet|
|#2 Mesa Safe MBF1512C Burglary & Fire Safe||Best Rated Home Fire Burglary Safe|
|#3 Steelwater 20 Gun Fire Safe AMSW592818-blk||Best Fireproof Gun Safe|
|#4 SentrySafe SFW205GQC Fire & Waterproof Safe||Best Fire and Waterproof Safe|
|#5 Steelwater AMSWEL-360 Fireproof Home Safe||Best Fireproof Safe for Cash|
|#6 Honeywell 1108 Fire/Water File Safe Chest||Best Fireproof File Box|
|#7 First Alert 2092DF Waterproof Digital Safe||Best Small Fireproof Safe|
|#8 SentrySafe SFW123CS Fire Resistant Safe||Best Fireproof Safe for the Money|
|#9 SureSeal SS104-A Fire/Waterproof Safe Chest||Best Fireproof Document Safe Box|
|#10 Avlone Fire/Waterproof Money & Documents Bag||Best Fireproof Document Bag|
|#11 SereneLife Safe Box SLSFE15||Best Fireproof Lock Box|
|#12 MMF Industries Jumbo Fire-Retardant Chest (221615103)||Best Fireproof Cash Box|
#1 FireKing Patriot 2P1825-CBL Filing Cabinet – Best Fireproof File Cabinet
- Weight: 272 lbs
- Dimensions: 25.1″ x 17.8″ x 27.8″
- Looks like any other file cabinet
- Each drawer is insulated and protected to give you greater protection for your files
- Perfect option for home or office where ease of access is essential
- The lock is by no means burglar proof
- If you are looking for a fireproof file cabinet it is perfect, but don’t expect this to be a safe for secure items
This Patriot option gives you deep, wide drawers that can handle both letter and legal sized paper. There are two drawers, each can be adjusted to fit the size of paper you desire, allowing you to choose how the safe can best fit your needs.
While this is a great design for any organization or individual who needs to protect their files while also allowing them to have easy access into the cabinet, you will also love the fact that it gives you a great deal of protection. Each drawer in this file cabinet is protected by oven dried gypsum insulation which resist the heat of a fire for up to one hour. This ensures that you have plenty of time to notify the fire department and have them respond to your home or office to put out the fire before any damage can occur.
The file cabinet is secured with a single lock mechanism that secures both drawers at the same time. Two keys are provided, allowing you to carry one with you while having another one available to store in another location in case an emergency arises.
The one thing you will really like about this file cabinet is that it looks like any other. Despite the additional features and protection that it offers, it doesn’t take up any additional space and no one would think that this is a file cabinet any different than any other option you may have in your home or office. It truly is a great option that you will be happy you made if there are a number of files you need to keep protected.
#2 Mesa Safe MBF1512C Burglary Safe – Best Rated Home Fire Burglary Safe
- Weight: 140 lbs
- Dimensions: 18.75″ x 17.25″ x 20″
- Well designed safe gives you maximum protection against burglars
- One of the highest ratings in terms of fire resistance you will find of any safe
- Very heavy, making it virtually impossible for a person to steal
- Plenty of space inside with an adjustable shelf included
- Fantastic customer service
- The combination lock can be a bit finicky at times
- While no expense was saved on the construction of the safe, the appearance needed some improvement
- The dial sticks out about half an inch from the safe door, making it difficult to hide this safe, plus creating problems where it could get damaged
The safe is made with a solid steel construction, and has four predrilled anchor holes, including all of the hardware necessary for you to be able to quickly and easily install this into a wall, floor, or other area of your home where you intend to anchor it.
The heavy duty steel not only makes this safe fire resistant, as it can handle up to two hours of heat up to 350°F and one hour up to 1830°F, but this unit is also made to be a burglar’s worst nightmare. The door is 4 ½ inches thick, making it impact resistant. The hinges are made with heavy duty solid steel and the body is one and three-quarter inches thick all the way around. The thickness of the steel also makes it drill resistant, as a hard plate is inserted in each side of the safe.
The locking mechanism employs a standard combination lock that enables you to be able to set your own combination easily. The tumbler uses a smooth gliding process that makes it difficult to determine when a specific number has been reached to begin the unlocking process. This makes it even more difficult to try to access this safe if you do not know the combination.
If you are concerned about your valuables, not only wanting to keep them secure, but safe from fire, this is truly the option for you. It can survive a two-story fall without breaking open, and is easy for you to install. Mesa Safe MBF1512C is truly the perfect option for you.
#3 Steelwater 20 Gun Fire Safe AMSW592818-blk – Best Fireproof Gun Safe
- Weight: 425 lbs
- Dimensions: 59″ x 28″ x 18″
- Plenty of internal space to store multiple firearms. Can store up to 16 long guns
- Provides protection for one hour at 1700°F
- High security provided, as this safe is not only impact and fire resistant, but drill resistant and pry resistant as well
- Company claim you can store 20 long guns inside, but that is nearly impossible
- Really no other complaints about the safe
This long gun fire protection safe provides you with up to 60 minutes of resistant from fire up to 1700°. That should be plenty of time to get the fire out before your weapons are damaged in any way.
A digital keypad is used to unlock the safe, which can be programmed by you. In fact, you can choose any combination from 5 to 9 digits, making it even more challenging to try to figure out how to get into your safe.
Plus, five 20 mm bars secure the door in place once the locking mechanism is activated. This makes it one of the highest grades in terms of pry resistance, and it comes with a great deal of impact resistance as well. It is able to handle a two floor drop while still maintaining the integrity. You also find that the safe is eight times stronger than most other forms of safes, making it drill resistant is well. Steelwater AMSW592818-blk fire-safe is truly a fantastic option in terms of providing you with the greatest amount of security.
Inside the safe, there is an incredible amount of storage space available to you, not only allowing you to organize but also secure up to 30 firearms. The door has six pouches that allow you to slide handguns into the pouch to secured in place while also making it easy to grab in an emergency. Six additional pouches are included to store magazines, ammunition, and other accessories.
Inside the safe are five adjustable shelves that allow you to use the entire safe for the security of long rifles, or to add specific shelves to organize ammunition, magazines, kits, and other accessories you may have. There is a great deal of room inside the safe, making it a fantastic option for any person looking to secure their firearms.
Fireproof Safe Buyer’s Guide : How to Make the Right Choice?
It would be a lie to say that we do not expect everything we buy to be good quality. If you pay a lot for an item, you would expect it to last longer and even have more features than the subsequent cheaper items or there would be no use for spending the excess amount of cash. Here I have picked a few features that I think will make a huge difference to your storage of valuables and I believe that these features will also provide you with a lot of value.
- Steel Quality & Durability. The quality of steel that a safe is constructed with will play a huge part in the type of protection that it offers. Generally 12 to 18 gauge steel safes are recommended as they have proven to be resistant against most equipment that is commonly used by intruders. The benefit you will receive from this quality is value. The safe will be able to withstand prying for longer and even withstand all common hand tools. Many of these steel designs are also capable of withstanding heat and water as well.
Moreover, if your gun safe is not durable, it will be the same as storing your items in a wooden box. It is extremely important to take into account the type of materials that have been used as they will immediately add quality in case you wish to own the best gun safe.
- Security Features. It would be extremely good for you if you can do some research on the type of equipment that is used by intruders when they try and break open safes. Once you have some knowledge about the topic, you will be able to make a better choice on your gun safe and even have some added security features installed. Make sure that the hinges are on the inside of the safe when purchasing as this is one of the first places that intruders target.
It is important to note that the more security features you want, the more expensive the safe will be. The security features may include fire resistant metal or even a waterproof sealer. If you live in an area with a lot of home fires or other problems, you may need to look into adding these features.
- Locking Mechanism. Gun safes are versatile and they come in different types of lock. If you are paying a lot of money for your safe, you would expect that the safe has a strong, but still easy to open locking mechanism. You will have the opportunity of choosing between the biometric, electronic & mechanical locking features.
The biometric locking feature is much more expensive, but it does offer a lot of quality. They will obviously increase the price of the gun safe. Biometric safes are proven to be much more reliable than the standard mechanical safe and this must be taken into consideration when you buy a gun safe. I highly recommend biometric locks for people with extremely sensitive information and firearms as they will ensure that intruders take more time to try and pry open your gun safe and you will have the benefit of quick access.
- Size & Capacity. The size of the safe is also to be considered because more often than not, customers get a smaller safe size than they really need. On the other hand, you will need to get a gun safe that is light to carry and easy to access or one to keep the guns away for long periods of time. That’s where the size factor comes in.
Long gun safes are generally more expensive and will also cost you more maintenance in the long run. A smaller gun safe will do just fine if you only plan on protecting a small firearm and a few valuable items. Hunters will be looking for the more expensive and bigger safes.
- Weight & Portability. Portability may not be important to everyone, but for people looking to buy something they could constantly travel with, portability will make a huge difference. Cheaper safes tend to be lighter and more portable, meaning that if you are looking for the a portable gun safe, you might be able to get the perfect one at your affordable price.
Obviously, bigger gun safes weigh much more than smaller gun safes but there are different manufacturers and some may offer a gun safe that is heavier than it looks or should be. You may need a heavy gun safe due to its resistance to prying or fire. On the other hand, you have to seek for the light-weight gun safes if you only a smaller handgun/pistol or you prefer the portability.
- Mounting Features. The mounting features are extremely important and this will vary depending on the safe that you choose to buy. The smaller and portable safes will have a strong wire that it mounts with and the larger safes will use deadbolts to keep the safe in place and secure. I highly recommend the deadbolts as they will provide added security.
- Additional Features. When you have a large budget, I like to recommend you to buy a fire-resistant safe. These features are great and they are accompanied by a huge warranty most of the time. This will give you a lot of value and you will never lose your belongings to a household fire that the neighbor might have started.
You can be fooled by marketing when you do not understand what you are looking for. These features will help you to make a great choice that will ensure that you have the perfect gun safe with value for your money.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
Before closing out this review, we thought it would be a good idea to answer some of the most commonly asked questions regarding these kinds of safes.
#1What Constitutes a Gun Safe “Fireproof”?
A safe with fire proof certification and standard, does not mean that it will withstand any kind of fire hazard. There are some safes which are able to withstand fire for a few hours before they start to melt, it is after all made up of metal. Metal is vulnerable to fires and therefore can withstand fire only if it is made very strong.
However, the fire department and owners will gain time, if the user has already locked down all their guns and possessions in a fire proof safe. Burn off time on a fireproof save is what shows its mettle, the manufacturer should be able to provide this information, if the safe has gone through standard testing.
#2 Do Fireproof Safes Really Work?
No safe is completely fireproof and no matter what the quality of the safe. If someone claims that their safes are 100% fireproof, they are lying and trying to take your money. Fireproof gun safes are only fire resistant for a certain period of time and under a certain temperature.
It might not last through an entire house fire, but most fires only last a certain time and if you have a quality fireproof home safe, it will surely save you a lot of unnecessary damage that could have been avoided. This needs to be taken into account and it will not help if you have extreme temperatures close by and your safe can only resist 800° F.
#3 Why Choose a Safe with Fire Resistant Properties?
Gun Safes, which are not able to provide protection from fires are a definite no, when investing in a locker for the safe keeping of firearms and other valuables. Fires occur suddenly, without a warning, they happen as a consequence of an accident.
Fires have proven deadly, they can sometimes bring down and entire house or row of houses in the matter of few hours. Even with a fire brigade trying to reduce the fire, wind and weather do not always cooperate. Having a fire proof safe, thus, will allow much needed time, before owners are able to lessen the fire and pick up their belongings.
#4 What Fireproof Safes are Made of?
Fire safes are made of rust proof heavy alloy metals. These metals are further enhanced to give them strength, also giving them the quality of withstanding fire for longer periods of time. These fireproof safes are made with special moulds, which cannot be penetrated easily.
It takes a strong fire that reaches high temperatures and has consistency over many hours, in order to completely melt a gun safe. Locks for such fireproof safes are also made to withstand, not just fire, but also complement the overall functionality of the locker. The hinges, fittings and locks are all made with equally strong materials; they are fit snugly to not let anything seep into the safe.
#5 Where to buy a fireproof safe?
You can buy a fireproof safe in a number of locations. However, there is one factor you should consider before making any decision upon where you will buy the product. Most of the safes are extremely heavy, often weighing as much as 150 pounds. This is not something you are likely going to be able to take them yourself, especially if you have a small car. Wherever you choose to buy the safe, it should be from a location where they will deliver it to you, and this is why many have opted to go with Amazon, especially if you have the free prime service.
#6 What is a good fire rating for a safe?
The best fire rating should be somewhere around at least 1700. This means that if heat reaches 1700°, you’re safe will be able to be resistant to the heat for at least one hour. You should be aware that fires rarely reach that temperature, most often coming around 850° at most. With the higher fire rating you can be sure that your items are going to be protected for a much longer period of time.
#7 Are fireproof safes waterproof?
Some are. You are likely going to find that the very best fireproof safes also come waterproof. Most will give you up to 24 hours a protection if they become submerged, and that should be ample time to get out the items you have in the safe should such an emergency arise.
#8 Is keeping cash at home safe illegal?
This is kind of a trick question. If you have made money that the government is aware of, such as true a business venture, job, or other legitimate means, you can be sure that storing money in your safe is perfectly legal. It’s your money, and the government is aware you have it. However, if you have undeclared money sitting in your safe then yes it is illegal. You must consider that it’s not so if they never find out about it.
#9 What is The Best Fire-safe?
In our research, I found all these top rated fireproof safes to be useful and unbeaten. I would like to recommend you to pick any one of them accord your requirement. Whatever, I personally use SentrySafe SFW205GQC Fire Safe for storing my handgun and essentials at my home. It will not only keep your precious valuables and documents from desecrating in the heat, but it will also ensure that the items are kept dry in the case of sprinklers or if the flames are doused.
It is extremely affordable and even though it cannot house rifles, the small compact frame will keep you smaller items secure and the keypad will allow you to easily and quickly access your firearm in the time of need. Overall, this is a must have safe for anyone with a small firearm and looking for a mixture of great features, quality and durability.
I hope you can now make a better and more educated decision about buying a fire-safe. The best fireproof safe may just be the thing you need to give you that added peace of mind and allow you to rest better knowing that everything is in perfect order. Let us know if you have any questions about a fireproof safe and the quality of steel that has been used in the construction. Moreover, if you already own a fireproof safe you can share your opinion to help others make the right choice.